Title: Post-Doctoral Associate
Position Number: 120769
Category Status: Faculty, Non-tenured, continuing and term contract, 1.0 FTE
Unit: Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
JIFSAN, a joint program of the University of Maryland and the U.S. FDA, is seeking a Post-Doctoral Associate to collaborate with U.S. FDA Scientists from the Office of Regulatory Science, on research focused on characterizing engineered nanoparticles in foods.
The successful candidate will work with FDA Scientists at the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition in College Park to develop methods to extract, detect and quantify engineered metallic nanoparticles in foods by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry.
- Develops a method to isolate ENPs from food matrices. The candidate may use extraction techniques such as microwave digestion and followed by ENP characterization by single particle ICP-MS. ENPs should be characterized by size distribution, particle number and concentration in the food.
- Develops a data evaluation tool / technique to quickly process large spICP-MS datasets including estimated measurement uncertainty.
- Operates and maintains all scientific instrumentation.
- Ph.D. in chemistry with a focus on analytical elemental analysis.
- Experience using inductively coupled mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) including hyphenated separation methods and sample preparation methods such as microwave digestion.
- Experience with single particle ICP-MS method development.
- Possesses a strong background in fundamentals of elemental analysis instrumentation including overcoming spectral interferences and large dataset analysis.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills including oral presentations at scientific conferences and written peer reviewed journal articles.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package. Visa sponsorship is not offered for this position.
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/74055 . A complete application packet includes a cover letter, CV, unofficial academic transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing date: Open until filled. For best consideration please apply by November 1, 2019.