Across the globe, how are low- and middle-income countries faring in the ability to feed their populations? The International Food Security Assessment, released annually by the Economic Research Service (ERS), is the only report to provide a 10-year projection of food security in these countries. Since the 1980s, ERS has been conducting research and reporting on food security in countries most likely to face food security challenges.
Ghana was selected as a focus country for Feed the Future. The University of Maryland's Department of Nutrition and Food Science is getting students involved in food security issues in Africa starting with a new study abroad course which will take an in-depth look at food security and nutrition in Ghana.
Partnering with Africa to Ensure Food Security for All.
Miao Guo has been awarded the Ann G. Wylie Fellowship.
Mary Callahan was awarded a travel scholarship for the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) annual meeting in 2015.
World Health Day will be celebrated on the 7th of April, with WHO highlighting the challenges and opportunities associated with food safety under the slogan "From farm to plate, make food safe."
On April 7, 2015 WHO will celebrate its main annual advocacy event - World Health Day (WHD) - with “food safety” as the theme. The occasion also marks the World Health Organization’s birthday. The main focus of this event will be to demonstrate the importance of food safety along the whole length of the food chain in a globalized world, from production and transport, to preparation and consumption.
This short video explains the WHO Five Keys to Safer Food.
Links & Resources
- Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Food and Drug Administration
- United States Department of Agriculture
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- World Health Organization
- FAO/WHO Food Standards - CODEX Alimentarius
- Food Safety Cooperation Forum Partnership Training Institute Network
- USDA Food Safety Research Information Office